Broadlands Hydro Power Project (35 MW)

The Broadlands Hydropower Project is a run-of-river type of project, planned to build in the Kelani river. The key objective of the project is to harness the hydro potential downstream of the existing Polpitiya Power Station. The project will have an installed capacity of 35 MW and expected to generate 126 GWh of electricity annually. The main sites of the project are located near Kithulgala. The main components included in the projects are the main dam, diversion dam, main tunnel, diversion tunnel, a power station with two 17.5MW Turbine Generator units, Switchyard and Transmission Line.

It was decided to maintain a firm water release to safeguard White Water Rafting sport in the Kithulgala area and as a result, there will be a reduction in the annual energy generation. The water release is done through a Mini Hydropower Plant to minimize the loss of generation. The total original estimated cost of the Project was 82 USD Million. Out of the Total Estimated Cost, 85% was covered by a loan funded by the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC). The other 15% will be met by a loan from the Hatton National Bank of Sri Lanka. The validity of the ICBC loan was expired on 16.12.2019. Therefore, CEB has negotiated with the People’s Bank to finalize a loan to meet the balance funds required to complete the remaining work. In terms of the physical progress, 79% has been completed and expected to   commission by June 2021.