Sri Lanka is the only South Asian country that achieved 100% electrification
10 0

Posted by  in Latest News

“Sri Lanka is the first South Asian country that reached 100% electrification.” said Mr. Ranjith Siyambalapitiya, the minister of power and renewable energy.

Minister said that declaring the status of 100% electrification at a ceremony providing electricity to 300 houses at “Lankagama” in Galle district.

The National Electrification campaign, “Ratama Eliyai, Adnura Duralai” (A brighter country – banishing darkness) was able to provide electricity to two hundred seventy five thousand customers.

Minister Siyambalapitiya further said,

At this moment we have started “three year development battle”, parallel with the Celebration of the Anniversary of the President’s Inauguration in office. Similarly in the last year we launched this project for one year duration. At that time there was only 98% of electrfication in Sri Lanka. But the remaining 2% was very difficult to complete. Because of the leadership of President and directions of the Priminister together with the dedication of employees of Ceylon Electricity board (CEB) and the Lanka electricity company (LECO), we were able to achieve our target. Under this project we are delighted to provide electricity for more than 500,000 children who studied using kerosene lamp earlier. It is the greatest pleasure we ever received.” he added.

Mr. Ajith P. Perera the deputy minister of power and renewable energy also participated at the occasion.